Author Topic: Peter Pan, or the Boy Who Hated Mothers  (Read 24282 times)

AlexanderDavid

Re: Peter Pan, or the Boy Who Hated Mothers
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 02:02:20 AM »
How great is that...I wish I could see it :(

Me too....  :(  I feel like I still haven't seen "Peter Pan" and I've seen all the movies plus a few televised musicals....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:05:30 AM by AlexanderDavid »

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 03:36:02 AM »
There was something we were talking about tonight while we were out....there are two books i LOVE and neither have had definitive movie adaptations..Peter Pan and Phantom of the Opera....we're contemplating writing a couple screenplays..not that it would ever get produced but at least for the enjoyment of it....so fed up with what is done to my two favorite stories. There are aspects of the different versions of both that i like but sometimes there are things that really piss me off...or as long as I don't pay attention to the original it's great but it would be nice..if both those stories had definitive movie versions that did the novels justice. This came up because originally we were talking about this Phantom of the Opera musical sequel Andrew Lloyd Webber is doing and it's just horrible...it's called "Love Never Dies"...and it's a total detriment to everything that story is about...so we started talking about how none of the movie versions follow the old novel like they should..and the same goes for Peter Pan...there have been some interesting things added in or elaborated on...but for the most part....still too much is changed....or one or two big things happen that really shouldn't....like Hook flying...I'm sorry but I'll never really like that concept ever. It brought out a cool concept...the idea of Peter falling the more Hook said horrible things...but couldn't he have done that without flying himself? grrr

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 07:25:28 AM »
There was something we were talking about tonight while we were out....there are two books i LOVE and neither have had definitive movie adaptations..Peter Pan and Phantom of the Opera....we're contemplating writing a couple screenplays..not that it would ever get produced but at least for the enjoyment of it....so fed up with what is done to my two favorite stories. There are aspects of the different versions of both that i like but sometimes there are things that really piss me off...or as long as I don't pay attention to the original it's great but it would be nice..if both those stories had definitive movie versions that did the novels justice. This came up because originally we were talking about this Phantom of the Opera musical sequel Andrew Lloyd Webber is doing and it's just horrible...it's called "Love Never Dies"...and it's a total detriment to everything that story is about...so we started talking about how none of the movie versions follow the old novel like they should..and the same goes for Peter Pan...there have been some interesting things added in or elaborated on...but for the most part....still too much is changed....or one or two big things happen that really shouldn't....like Hook flying...I'm sorry but I'll never really like that concept ever. It brought out a cool concept...the idea of Peter falling the more Hook said horrible things...but couldn't he have done that without flying himself? grrr

It just occurred to me--the worst part of making Hook fly is that's why they got rid of the "When Wendy Grew Up" scene.  With a flying Hook, the latter scene would be inconsistent.  What BARRIE WROTE would be INCONSISTENT!   >:(

So that's why they had Peter never come back for Wendy at all--at least in Disney they had an in-story excuse, though that's another problem entirely....

Holly G.

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:29 AM »
Well for once in my life the reality exceeded the fantasy! Without doubt the best = truest Peter Pan I've ever seen, either on stage or screen. Such energy, such spirit, such imagination! The girl playing Peter is magic - but so too is Wendy - and Tootles - and Mrs Darling as Hook gave "him" the edge - and nobility - he has always lacked in the versions I've ever seen.

I found it extraordinarily moving, yet never sentimental - quite the reverse in fact, with Peter a punk and Wendy initially played as a pouting teenager (until the lost boys engender her mothering instincts) how could it have been. The theatre was completely full, half the audience being children, and they all seemed as swept away by the experience as I was.

The production looks set to tour France, and I shall certainly make every effort to see it again. My enormous gratitude to the cast and crew - and again all thanks to Celine, without whom it would have remained just another fantasy in my bottom drawer of unrealised projects...

What a night! Thanks to you, Andrew. You are such a generous man. I don't know 5 persons like you in the entire world. And it was such an emotion to touch the book you brought us... I am only beginning to understand what happened and what we lived. I needed to be alone at home to let my feelings come out. It's easier to write than to talk.
I will never forget this night. It was like a dream and I felt as if I were frozen in a dream: I couldn't express my feelings, they were trapped inside me. I was not able to talk with you. I forgot all my English. I was a disaster. I couldn't laugh or cry. I was happy but I was near the collapse. I hope nobody was aware of it.
It's the best Peter Pan I've ever seen too.
I will also do every effort to see it again. And with you if possible, because to feel your presence near me (and Barrie's one - I had a picture of him near my heart: I am too sentimental but it's me !)  while attending it was a part of this marvellous experience.
They all are incredible and I am a very demanding girl, always prompt to see the negative things rather than the positive ones... But the play is splendid and I hear Barrie's voice in the play. It's your success, Andrew: nobody before you had the idea (except Barrie of course) and the courage to use the idea of Hook as a woman, a mother! You knew what to keep in Peter Pan and to shape the different elements in the best way possible.
To me it has always been a play about motherhood and death, 2 themes we can find in many Barrie's books and plays.
Your adaptation is superb. I was so excited when I read it for the first time. I can't believe that we finally make it!
I did nothing it's only the work of the cast and the crew.
Alexis Moati is the man who gave the inspiration to the project and if I hadn't feel he really was interested in Peter Pan, in Barrie, I will never let him read your play. I was so scared that the play could be betrayed. I am relieved because I was right to trust him. And when he told me that the actress who would play Peter was an actress, I was sure she could be great. She is magic, oh yes! During the rehearsals, I was so moved. And Wendy is not namby-pamby as she is often portrayed, she is full of energy. Tootles is great, I noticed her talent during the rehearsals. And I don't mention the others but they were very good too. Maybe you didn't have noticed it but Pierre (Mr Darling, a pirate and the shadow) looks like a little Barrie when he was young. I was shocked when I discovered it on Saturday.
Now I have other projects, especially for your Lost Boys... I am grateful to you because you entrance my life and give me all the courage and the strength I need to translate Barrie, to write his biography and even to write other things more personal.
Thank you, Andrew. I am in Heaven.

Holly G.

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 08:23:47 AM »
How great is that...I wish I could see it :(

Me too....  :(  I feel like I still haven't seen "Peter Pan" and I've seen all the movies plus a few televised musicals....

If I have permission, I will upload some extracts on Youtube. Better than nothing. My husband recorded the play.

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »
Please do  ;D

JAQ

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Neverpedia
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 05:04:59 AM »
There was something we were talking about tonight while we were out....there are two books i LOVE and neither have had definitive movie adaptations..Peter Pan and Phantom of the Opera....we're contemplating writing a couple screenplays...
I dabble at writing and drawing comics, and it dawned on me recently that Peter & Wendy has never been adapted - not even badly - into graphic novel form.  There have been a few satirical "reinterpretations", but the closest thing there is to a straight retelling of JMB's story is Disney's 32-page comic-book version of their movie.... which doesn't count.  That surprised me, because I think a graphic novel could offer a perfect blend of the visual engagement of the stage play with the literary depth of the novel.  So I've started work on writing one.

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 05:34:18 AM »
There was something we were talking about tonight while we were out....there are two books i LOVE and neither have had definitive movie adaptations..Peter Pan and Phantom of the Opera....we're contemplating writing a couple screenplays...
I dabble at writing and drawing comics, and it dawned on me recently that Peter & Wendy has never been adapted - not even badly - into graphic novel form.  There have been a few satirical "reinterpretations", but the closest thing there is to a straight retelling of JMB's story is Disney's 32-page comic-book version of their movie.... which doesn't count.  That surprised me, because I think a graphic novel could offer a perfect blend of the visual engagement of the stage play with the literary depth of the novel.  So I've started work on writing one.

Good luck!  :D  I'm sure yours will be better than my attempt was--I agree with you, it would be PERFECT for that medium.  Plus you don't have to worry about special effects as you would onstage or on film, nor would you have to worry about running time or "front-cloth" scenes.

If you publish, I'd sure like to see the fruits of your labor!

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 05:41:16 AM »
yes please let us know I'd love to see that!

Hannah High

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 05:01:06 AM »
WHY DO I NOT LIVE IN FRANCE?!!?!?!?! I would love to see the actors and production. Ah, the pictures, and videos (and thank you so much for adding those, Holly) will do for now. Also yours and Andrew's great words and excitment. Oh, Peter I'm so glad of you.

Holly G.

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 04:27:56 PM »
French / German TV will record the play, so everybody will be able to watch it.
Be patient!

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fierychariot.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
This is terrific news. Well done Andrew! Well done CĂ©line!

erhein35

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:15 PM »
Can you post you own version here? I would love to read it.